What you’ll need:
3 medium bananas
1/2 tsp vanilla paste or essence
2 eggs, separated
50g butter, melted and cooled (plus more for cooking)
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
50ml honey, golden or maple syrup (to serve)
100g yoghurt (plus more to serve)
- Mash one banana with a fork and then whisk together with the egg yolks.
- Mix in the yoghurt and melted butter, then add the milk and whisk
- Add the salt and flour and stir until just combined and a batter is formed.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold into the batter, one
half at a time, trying to keep as much air as possible in the batter (if you
prefer a thinner pancake you can add a little more milk).
- Slice the other bananas into half centimetre slices. Add a little butter to
a medium hot non-stick pan and then place banana slices in groups of
three for each pancake. Allow them to cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of batter over each group of bananas to form a
pancake and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until the top has bubbles and
is starting to dry out a little. Carefully flip and cook on the other side
another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove, keep warm and serve in a stack with honey and natural yoghurt.
Created by Ben Macdonald, Masterchef 2014